Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Here I Stand in Defense of Academic Freedom. Feel Free to Stand With Me.


Disclaimer - all opinions expressed within this blog are MY OWN and do not represent those of Valencia Community College or any other organization. 

On Friday, March 25, 2011, the Florida State House of Representatives introduced the following bill aimed at eliminating tenure in the state of Florida for state college faculty:


On Tuesday, March 29, 2011, the House subcommittee on K-20 Competitiveness voted 8-4 to approve the bill.  The bill still has to go through a longer process before it can become law.

This link is to the latest Orlando Sentinel article addressing the proposed bill.

I am a faculty member at Valencia Community College, currently serving as President of the Faculty Association until May 19, 2011.  I am starting this blog with several goals in mind.
  1. Keep faculty at Valencia and other colleges informed about the issue.
  2. Form a united faculty front to fight this bill before it becomes law.
  3. Prepare to rally against the bill should it become law.
My next blog post will detail how to find your representative, how to contact your representative, and the salient points that faculty may wish to use in their communication with representataives.

Finally, a plea. I cannot do this alone.  I need my eloquent colleagues from around Florida to help me out.  I am keeping comments open on this blog.  Pipe in and join the battle.





4 comments:

Amanda Kern said...

You rock Lisa. Thanks for starting this...now lets pray politicians might listen not just for the sake of educators but for our students who will undoubtedly be affected if this bill passes.

Unknown said...

They need to understand that this IS about students - not about teachers. You get it. I get it. Now we need to figure out how to get them to get it.

Charlotte Pressler said...

I'll help. I'll post a link to this blog to my Facebook page, if it's all right.

Unknown said...

Thanks Charlotte. Please do share the link anywhere you want!